Monday, August 31, 2009

A Step Ahead of Christmas with Cheap Deals

I was telling someone this weekend that the secret to enjoying the Christmas holidays often rests in the ability to think of Christmas well ahead of day. Advanced planning is the only way to save money, time and effort in preparing for the holidays. So, start now in order to enjoy a hassle free holiday. Here are a few tips to get you started...

Be a perennial shopper. Keep an eye out throughout the year for great sales and clearance items that you can take advantage. Pick a theme an build gift baskets around it by filling it with end of season items, great sales items, and clearance items that you find throughout the year. Examples: (1) Flip flops, beach ball, beach towel, beach chair (with fan!), frisbee - all for $23. (2) Golf shirt, Scrabble (golf version), box of golf balls, and magnetic poetry - golf version - $25. (3) Stainless steel coffee thermo, 3 lbs of gourmet coffee, NY Crossword Puzzle book -$18. (4) Hand painted needlepoint canvas, assorted threads, needlepoint scissors, and needle case - $20. Great stuff. Cheap Prices. True Bargains.

Store Gifts in One Location. It's just easier to keep everything in one place. I put all gift purchases in an armoire. And organization is key to saving effort. In the armoire, I've got gift bags set up for the different themes, labelled with the intended recipient's name. I toss items in the bags, so everything is pre-sorted come the holidays.

Make your gift list. I keep my gift list in my armoire. I cross names off the list as I stock the gift armoire with purchases. This helps me keep track of who I've bought for, what I've bought, and how much inventory I've got left to work with.

Know your sales. I've been tracking my favorite stores for so long, I know when the best time to do my shopping. Every Columbus Day weekend, Toys R Us runs a Buy One; Get One Free Hasbro Game Sale. LL Bean Outlet runs a 50% off Canvas Tote bag sale. Michaels runs 25% off Everything in the Store Sale. And yes, every year, I'm there stockpiling, games, tote bags, and arts & crafts at deep discount.

Yard Sales, Garage Sales, Estate Sales, whatever - just go. You'd be amazed at the great gifts that you can be found at bargain prices. A copper weather vane (great gift for a friend's barn), original edition Scrabble (for a crossword enthusiast), antique tools and hinges (for a woodworking hobbyist), and a cordless cookie gun and cake decorating kit (for me, the baker- even I need a luxury every now and then.)

No comments:

 
http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping